“A customer is the most important visitor on our premises, he is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider in our business. He is part of it. We are not doing him a favour by serving him. He is doing us a favour by giving us an opportunity to do so.”
– Mahatma Gandhi
Client , Guest , Emptor, Consumer, Patron etc many terms with just one meaning which is Customer. A customer is like the figure “Zero” , you put him behind you and he will make your value as a single digit number, you keep him ahead he will make your value in Zillions. They are the ones who build your brand. Rather than having profit as a cynosure a business should have customer satisfaction as cynosure.
Once Scott Cooks said that “A brand is no longer what we tell the consumer it is – It is what consumers tell each other it is.”
The Hospitality Industry is highly reliable on guest satisfaction. The old marketing adage is that a satisfied guest will tell 5-7 of their friends about their experience, whereas the dissatisfied guest will tell 15-20. Today, an unhappy guest will post one negative feedback which will be a direct source of communication to a million of their closest strangers. Each negative mention gives you a loss of one potential guest and one existing unhappy guest.
As a matter of fact, it has been found that
“ 91% of the unhappy customers will not willingly do business with you again.”
But on a brighter side – “ Resolve a complaint in the customer’s favour and they will do business again with you 70% of the times.”
So now the question is how to do that ?
1. Look at the past data :- A successful entrepreneur has one good habit and it is that after taking four steps ahead he stops and looks back to see if he has made any mistakes or he has left any loose end. Similarly taking a look at past guest feedback records gives you an insight that where have you been mostly criticised and praised at, what problems your consumers are facing the most, what is the most recurring issues your clients are facing and so on.
2. Cross Analysis of reviews and their study :- Once you gather the data it is quite important to cross check for the same and ensure that the data is genuine. The advanced technology has its own pros and cons, while it has helped to gather information on guest feedbacks there would be some who would have posted false reviews just to misguide others. Hence it is quite important to ensure that the data you are looking at is derived from the genuine feedbacks and has not been tempered.
3. CARP Diem to resolve complaints –
- Control – Having a control over the guest feedbacks enables you to solve the issues at the earliest thereby helping you keep the same complaints at the bay.
- Acknowledge – Acknowledgement of guest complaints makes them happy and gives them a trust that yes someone is listening to them, and your hotel will be their 1st priority.
- Refocus – After acknowledgement resolving of the issue is the next step you need to focus upon. Since focusing on one problem at a time would help in its eradication and thereby eliminating the problems root cause. Also informing the client once it is solved helps to build a stronger relationship which makes them your advocate in the market.
- Problem Solved – Once the problem is solved you need to keep a check on it that such issues do not reoccur. Once you start resolving guest complaint and issues you will see a constant growth in the no of positive feedback for your properties and a depreciation in guest complaints and no sooner this is done your hotel will be the talk of the town.
As the Sam Watson said :-
“There is Only One ‘BOSS – THE CUSTOMER’ “
So let’s make our “BOSS” happy
About Me – I’m Siddharth. I work with RepUp. We help hotels in tracking guest satisfaction and increase the guest satisfaction score.